Bull & Bush is a Pub and Brewery out of Denver, Colorado that’s taking beer in a brand new direction: Tableside Whole Hop Infusion.
Beer drinkers first select from five different hops:
- Cascade Hops – An aroma variety, used to contribute aroma to beer. Notes of spice, citrus and grapefruit rind.
- Crystal Hops – An aroma hop, with notes of white fruit, coconut and banana. Super tropical.
- Chinook Hops – Used for adding bitterness to beer. Notes of herbs with a smoky, spicy, piney character.
- Nugget Hops – Used for bittering, but also can have an intense herbal, foresty aroma.
- Northern Brewer Hops – An English variety used for both aromatizing and bittering. Pine foresty, humusy aromas.
When the beer arrives (any house beer can be infused) it’s poured into a french press, along with the selected hop. Then, after the desired amout of ‘steep’ time, the beer is poured into a regular glass and enjoyed.
According to Erik Peterson, Minister of Progress at Bull & Bush,
Brewers have been dry hopping beers for ages to achieve various desired affects, but the process is time consuming and can be very expensive. We thought Whole Hop Infusion would be a great way to allow beer fans to do some of their own experimenting. It has also turned out to be a great educational experience for people who want to learn more about the beer making process. They get to see, feel, smell and taste actual hop cones, possibly for the first time.
If it works, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this trend get adopted by breweries and brew pubs across the country as they seek to cater to the ever expanding palette of beer drinkers everywhere.